Why Mocha Memoirs?
Our vision is to provide an outlet for outstanding speculative and romance stories that often fall beneath the radar of traditional publishing houses. We seek to provide quality stories that invigorate the reader’s literary palette like a good, strong coffee. Like great coffee houses, we offer a variety of flavors. We don’t just serve our coffee black.
Submission Guidelines (updated 1/2016)
Mocha Memoirs Press, LLC is a genre-oriented publishing company. We publish stories in the following genres: science fiction, fantasy, horror, and romance, including the sub-genres of steampunk, cyberpunk, diesel punk, alternate history, weird westerns, and mash-ups. Stories must be 10k-50k. Do not query for longer titles.
We want your best, polished, and ready to publish work. We want fresh, invigorating, and diverse stories. We are actively seeking stories with diverse people as the protagonists. Do not send us stories where the diverse characters are tokens and sidelined to secondary or villainous roles. We do not want caricatures of what you believe diverse people are like. Do your research.
What we do not want:
- Stories that glorify violence, racism, misogyny, or bestiality
Our Four Primary Lines: We offer four primary lines here at MMP. When querying, please tell us what line your story fits in.
- Dark Mocha Bites-Horror
- Steamy Mocha Amour-Romance
- Sword & Mocha-Fantasy (including urban fantasy, paranormal)
- Sci-Chai-Science fiction
*Espresso Shots-Any genre listed above, but must be 8-10k. These are short, complete, and strong stories that pack a large literary wallop in a short amount of words. Please note, these stories are often sold for .99.
How to Submit:
General MMP Submission Guidelines
- Stories must be 10k-50k. Do not query for longer titles. 50k is our limit at this time.
- Email to mochamemoirspress(at) gmail.com
- Mocha Memoirs Line Sub: [Your Story Title]; [Your Name] in the subject line.
- Attach your story as a DOC or DOCX file. Submissions sent in the body of the email will not be read. Stories should be in 12pt, Calibri font. Please double space. Don’t forget to include a title page that includes all contact information.
- Include a brief cover letter in the body of your email stating your name, pen name (if using one), story title with word count, a brief (1 paragraph) synopsis, and bio.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. We ask that you do not submit a story to us and to another market at the same time.
- Please don’t submit another manuscript until you have received an answer on your first submission.
Current Call for Submissions
Ghosts, Gears, and Grimoires is currently open for submissions anthology,
What We Want: Ghosts, Gears, and Grimoires will be a horror-themed Steampunk anthology of short stories, released as an ebook and as a paperback simultaneously.
We are looking for Steampunk featuring the supernatural (ghosts, shapeshifters, demons, etc.)—as well as a beautifully crafted, original story.
What We Don’t Want: Any stories that contain rape, bestiality, and/or the abuse of minors. Violence and sex are acceptable but make them integral to the plot.
Submissions: Submit your work to firstname.lastname@example.org with Ghosts, Gears, and Grimoires Sub: Your Story Title_Your Last Name in the subject line. (for example: Ghosts, Gears, and Grimoires Sub: Something Amiss Midship_Poe)
Attach your story as a DOC or DOCX file. Submissions sent in the body of the email will not be read.
We prefer to see submissions using something approaching Standard Manuscript Format, which can be found here: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
The only exception is that italics MUST appear as they will be used; no underlining.
Include a brief cover letter in the body of your email stating your name, pen name (if using one), story title with word count, address, website or blog, and any professional publication credits you think might interest us.
We will accept works of 1,500-6,000 words. Please query first if you wish to submit outside of these guidelines.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. Don’t submit a story to us and to another market at the same
- Multiple submissions are acceptable. If sending more than one story, please send them in separate
We are not accepting reprints for this anthology. We will pay a flat $10 per story via Paypal only.
Payment will be made within 45 days of publication. We are seeking Worldwide English Language rights for 12 months in print and digital formats.
Authors from outside of the United States are welcome, but submissions must be in English. Please be aware that at this time, we have a largely American readership. Feel free to help us expand that base.
Submission Deadline and Publication Schedule:
We will remain open for submissions from January 5-April 1, with an expectation that the anthology will be published by November 1, 2016.