::Please note: We are currently closed to all submissions for novels and novellas at this time::
OPEN CALL FOR CRACK IN THE CODE
Anthology: Crack in the Code: Cybernated Stories of Rebellion
edited by Venessa Giunta and Nicole Givens Kurtz
Deadline: September 30th, 2022
Publication Release Date: February 2023
Payment: .08 per word
Since 2010, Mocha Memoirs Press’s mission is to amplify marginalized voices in the areas of speculative fiction (science fiction, horror, and fantasy).
Crack in the Code will follow the steps of our previous published bestseller anthologies An Improbable Truth: The Paranormal Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, SLAY: Stories of the Vampire Noire, and Avast, Ye Airships!
What we are looking for: Science fiction and fantasy stories where the androids, robots, and/or cyborgs have been naughty, going off programming, cracking their internal code, etc. Give us dramatic stories, mischievous stories, stories that stun, but not offend us. This call is seeking unpublished short stories where the artificial lives become alive and share their stories. If you can take the story out of westernized culture, we’d love to see those, too! We want stories that speak of inclusivity. So, if your robot/cyborg/android is disabled or suffers from an ailment, send those stories too. LGBTQ+ stories are also encouraged. To point, we want stories from everyone.
If you do not follow the guidelines, your submission will be deleted unread. Seriously, read the guidelines. Follow them.
Upon results of a successful crowdfunding campaign, we will pay SFWA pro-rates of .08 per word for publication for First World Rights.
Still interested? Here are the guidelines.
• Stories for this anthology must be original (no reprints or previously published material), no more than 7,500 words in length, we accept microfiction and flash, and must satisfy the theme of the anthology, meaning the protagonist must be a robot, cyborg, android, or robotic in some manner.
- We seek stories that moves the envelope in storytelling around going off programming, to crack the code, but we aren’t looking for copies of I, Robot or Terminator.
- Some of the stories may be sexy or erotic in nature. We’re looking at a R-rating for the anthology. We do not want stories where sex is there for the sake of adding sex. The sex must be integral to the plot and purpose of the story.
- No pornography. No smut. Yes, this can be subjective. Yes, it is up to us. Err on the side of caution.
• Manuscripts should be in Shunn manuscript format, meaning double-spaced, 12pt font, standard margins on top, bottom and sides, and pages numbered. Please use Times New Roman font. The first page should include the Title of the story, Author’s name, address, and email, and Pseudonym if different from the author’s real name. Italics and bold should be in italics and bold.
• Submit your story in .docx, .doc, via our Google form: https://forms.gle/yT2Mc41oKgAmUf3M9
We will not accept emailed submissions.
Here is our list of don’t:
• No revenge stories.
• No Bestiality.
• No underage sex with minors or racist rants/racist storylines.
DEADLINE and TIMELINE:
• The deadline for submissions is September 30, 2022
• Decisions on stories should be completed by the end of November 2022.
If you have questions, query at mochamemoirspress AT gmail DOT com